Wednesday, January 30, 2013
So here we are being regaled with long tales of how our gubernatorial(wth does that even mean?) candidates' plans to perform miraculous deeds that will transform Nairobi into a The City of Cities.
I just wonder about some of these promises; I will put Nairobians first, I will light up the city in two years, I will transform Nairobi into a 24 hour economy in a year, I will put utilize garbage(yes garbage) to produce enery..yaddi yaddi yadda...
Oh...and W@2 didnt even bother to show up...hmm, big wonder there.
Oh well...this debate didnt live p to the hype so I'm moving on to ...Nat Geo.
Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Coz I've just woken up, feeling absolutely like the kitty cat that I am; you know - lazy and stretchy and purry...
So I'm just having all these random thoughts goin thru my head and I have absolutely no idea where to start...
OK fine...I guess I'm suffering - AGAIN - from writers block. DAMN.
Where's the vodoski @?
I'm lovin - Gomenesai by TaTu.
Saturday, March 17, 2012
Anyhuuuu,lets see...so this year, well pretty predictable so far. Still slugging away at my job, still earning peanuts, still harbouring big dreams of moving away to another country and starting a charity/N.G.O.
Why not start it right here, you might ask. Good question. Hmm...lets see....how many "NGOs" have cropped up in the last 3 months in Nairobi alone? Yeah...didnt think so.
Mmm..what else has happened...or is happening...oh yeah, moved out of my comfort zone/QTP(quarter pound of escape from life as we know it) and moved in with big sis.
Discovered a new found love for a coffee/cocoa - ok, something that suspiciously tastes like coffee/cocoa but has some plant extract called ganoderma which apparently puts me to sleep like a baby. And no-it is not a drug. Seriously, it isn't.
Met someone. Ok, not in the way you'd expect. Just someone who kinda takes me back to that place where everything seems shinier and brighter and more colourful. Kinda makes me feel like a giddy schoolgirl. Hmm...that could explain why I've been dressing all preppy and everyone nods at me in acknowledgement when I pass along the corridors....hmm, strange. Does a tie or a pleated skirt really attract that much attention?
I have realized that Adele is not in any way overrated.. People just need to stop tryna sing like her.
I have vowed to get me a set o' wheels, anyway, anyhow. I really am so over this whole commuting ish. This pedestrianism is soo 2000 and late. Damn!
I have realized that I really really missed blogging.
Please writer's block - depart from me, oh you despicable condition! Leprosy is way more welcome than you are.
Happy new year! I guess...
I'm loving: Time after Time - Cyndi Lauper
Friday, November 4, 2011
I caught the latest Episode of the Today Show (weekdays, 10AM ET on NBC), and lo and behold, the topic of the night was the Kim Kardashian & Kris Humphries divorce. Hmm…why am I still surprised?
Well, of course I went like meh…then I realised, obviously TV shows are more keen on covering world-breaking events such as this, than say, the OWS movement or the crisis in Somalia.
So as a "heartbroken nation" now grapples with the devastating news that Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries are divorcing after only 72 days, Kathie Lee and Hoda were there to help pick up the pieces. The ladies talked about the public backlash against the Kardashian reality wedding spectacle.
Suffice it to say that Yellow Journalism ruled the day again and I have quickly become enamored by the fiasco that has become reality TV.
Which brings me back to the issue at hand; I neither have the time nor the stomach to dive into the discussion on the KKK wedding. However, I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that this pint-sized smasher actually dated this monster of a man. I mean, just check out this pic; Scope the way this giant is grabbing Kim’s ass. I mean, SHEEEESH!!!
Is it that his hand is super huge or Kim’s ass is super tiny?
But then again, with all the plastic surgery that Kimmy Kakes has gorged herself with, I doubt it’s the latter.
Which means this man is well and truly an ogre.
How were they getting it on again?
I’m lovin – Flashing Lights by Kanye West
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
I'm just a young, ordinary Kenyan girl.
I'm just an average, disillusioned citizen, tired and apathetic.
Wearily have I watched as our country's leaders have turned the electorate into puppets. Weaving tribal lines, churning emotions and pitting brother against brother.
Wangari, I grew up like many others, in a time where few emerged as true leaders, worthy of Kenyans' admiration and gratitude.
Noble leaders such as yourself have come and gone.
I grew up watching and learning from you; you evoked such a die-hard spirit. You made me wonder if indeed it was possible for this country to one day, rise above the pettiness that defines our leadership.
You made me believe that Kenya was indeed capable of producing fine, worthy and legendary leaders.
You made me take note of the little things; your love for the environment, your fierce protective nature and your resilience in your quest to ensure that Kenya remains green - all these made me love nature even more.
Your resounding clarion call for Kenyans to wake up and contribute to saving our forests was heard across the seven seas.
You instilled such an immense sense of pride in me, in women, in the youth. You were a beaming light; a fierce torch that would guide all women who dared to stand up for what was right.
You were a true mentor, a believer, a hero, a mother, a confidante, a revolutionary, a friend.
You were Wangari Maathai; a human being that has left an immeasurable void on the face of the earth.
You will remain the stuff of legend, and our children's children will live to hear of your greatness.
Wangari, I cry for the loss that this country has faced today.
Wangari, I cry for I know we will never be touched by greatness such as yours.
Rest in peace Wangari.
You fought a chivalrous battle and emerged victorious.
You survived adversity and ashamed your naysayers.
I will forever remember your contribution to this world.
I treasure the fact that I lived in this generation; to witness who you were and what you achieved.
Travel well Mama Miti.
Love and sincere gratitude,
Thursday, September 15, 2011
Mr. Right; okay he doesn’t exist. Yeah, I know. We all know.
But every girl still has a list of how their Mr. Right should be. So for heck’s sake, here is mine…ok, its kinda rambly and all. Its more like a list of all the characteristics I did and didn’t like after a date is over. Call me obsessive, I don’t really care…I’m all for perfection. Or at least finding someone who is everything I’m looking for. (Sigh)
1. Makes me laugh - To me, conversation has always been more important than looks (to a point though, there has to be some initial attraction. I mean DUH). I would rather be with someone who makes me laugh than someone who makes the mean girls jealous. Ok, fine. Both would be sooo cool.
2. Creative – I like to consider myself pretty creative (with the exception of this topic) and I think for someone to be able to be with me long-term they would need to have a little creativity in order to put up with my story telling and intricate delusions of grandeur. Mostly these pop up smack in the course of my erstwhile monotonous work days. So I basically end up going through the motions with a dazed look. Not so bad once you get the hang of it…which leads me to…
3. Intelligent - I think it goes without saying that an intelligent mind is a major turn on. Please tell me you didn’t love A Beautiful Mind. Go on, look me in the eyes and LIE!!
Yeah…anyway, there’s absolutely no way to tolerate someone who seems painfully subterranean in terms of their grasp of all things intelligentsia. I just can’t. I love a guy who makes me think, keeps my brain churning and bursting with ideas and questions. Excite me with your world views and hypotheses. Don’t make me feel like I’m the only thinker in the room. I’m not saying you should give Socrates a run for his money; I’m just saying be bright. Period.
4. Tall - I’ve found that short guys tend to have a Napoleon complex…Plus I just feel more comfortable with a guy taller than I am. Hello, those six-inch heels have to be worn when we’re out.
5. Has a job – I understand it’s a bad economy, but I’m just one of those people who work a lot, and enjoy it. Oh please, who am I kidding-I hate working. It’s totally uncool and frankly, whoever came up with the idea of 9 to 5 is so on my wanted list right now.
That having been said, it suffices to say that being with someone who has no motivation to even search for a job – a decent, well paying, take-care-of-my-woman job…yeah, not gonna work.
6. Enjoys learning - I was one of those people who got super excited about buying school supplies, the person who read the book before school started, the person who got thrown out of British Council’s Library and MacMillan because goddamit, its 6pm on Saturday - you’re supposed to be out partying or something, not stuck in an old, creepy, dusty library, choking on dust balls but still ploughing through atlases and Thesauruses.
7. Must love animals – I hate creepy crawlies. Love all other members of the animal kingdom. Cats, dogs, horses, alligators, pigs, chicken…Love em, love em, love em.
8. Spontaneous - I think it would even me out, I’m a lover of routines. I’d want someone who would inspire a random trip to the Rift and back… No scatch that – a random trip to some place that cant even be found on GPS. Yup.Just because it would be fun to go.
9. Sarcasm - I’ve met guys who don’t understand my witty/sarcastic remarks. At times it felt like I was speaking a different language. Seriously, is it that hard to figure?
10. Loves the outdoors – I love being outside, especially when it’s sunny and blue skies are stretching out for miles. Road trips and escapades to wherever, bungee jumping off cliffs and running around in the grass barefeet…these, a girl loves! No way do I want to be with someone who sits inside all day.
11. Competitive – Okay, I know what you might be thinking because you’ve been with the “overly competitive guy”. And it isn’t fun to compete about everything, but going back to careers…I think it would be nice to find someone as equally driven and competitive in the work place as I am.
I'm loving - Mr. Right by A Rocket to The Moon
I'm loving - Mr. Right by A Rocket to The Moon